Friday, August 30, 2013

Questions for Mama...about adoption.

I get some really thought provoking, and often times just plain funny questions!

I have one of those faces...at least that is what my husband tells me. I have had complete strangers tell me their life story in an airport. I also live a pretty open, simple life. Life is short, I want to learn and give knowledge while I'm here... So, as it seems I get a lot of questions, too!  I get questions that people start with "I've always wondered..." Yeah, I don't really know why, blame it on the face, I guess...

Anyway, today we went to a picnic/field day for homeschoolers... I was talking to our CT, whom my eldest proudly told all about being adopted when she came to visit a few weeks back..  She was telling me how proud she was of my girl and what a wonderful family we are...so sweet! Then she got the serious/hushed tone and asked if she could ask~ "something I have always wondered...*I brace myself* do your kids, kids that are adopted, *here it comes* do they celebrate their birthdays or the day you adopted them?"

"Both!" I excitedly reply.... *releasing that breath I had been holding in* You know this was the first question like this I have heard *surprisingly* and it got me thinking.
What is a birthday??
It is the day you came onto the world...you were sustained in the womb and now the world is your's to explore! It is a day that you join a family...which was the basis of her question. It is the day that we see how you have grown another year..

It also reminded me to be thankful! It reminded me to be thankful that my girls are here in my arms..so tight in my arms. That for whatever her reasons, their birth-mom carried them in her body and gave them life! Yes,.even though she lost them through her choices and they were placed in the system, they are alive. She and I don't have a relationship and honestly we probably never will, but a part of me will always be thankful to her...

You can see where this is going... I don't have a large reader base, I'm just a mom with a small blog, but if you are out there and you are facing a really hard choice, please consider adoption?
Please just pause~ I know you are scared, Google a bit, maybe even say a little prayer(we can say one for you), and consider giving that little life to a family that is lifeless...that is the truest definition of love. You can carry that baby, and that family will carry in their hearts forever. Just please give it a thought?

So back to the second part of her question; YES,  we celebrate Adoption Day as a family! Hubby takes the day off work all homeschool stuff is suspended and we just spend the day together!  We look at the courthouse pictures, talk about how we felt that day...how crazy our hair looked from the crazy tornado-like wind and the monsoon-type rain that hit that morning!!! We laugh, play games, and eat a lot of ice cream!!! We just have fun as a family...and give thanks because that is what we are~ a family


No comments:

Post a Comment