Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Chili Kind Of Week

So yeah, I am so ready for colder weather!!! We are also in full swing of homeschooling!!! So we are having a "Chili" kind of week! I started off by making a huge pot of veggie chili!!!

Chili is so super easy and cheap! There are so many recipes out there... I'm not really a "recipe girl" so I keep it super simple:
 I just grab a bag of dry pinto beans from the cupboard, check (for rocks & bad/broken beans), soak over night, rinse in the AM, add water to cover 2 inches, add seasonings (Chili Powder, Stevia or a little sugar, and some Tony's or Hot Sauce~I just add it till it feels right; yeah I am sure you are googling recipes, right?), and set to low...cook all day! I also can add my other veggies here of saute them gently at the end...then add to the crock-pot just depends if I have more time in the AM or PM...

Veggies I like in my Chili:
Onions (diced really small)
Bell Pepper (favorite is yellow, orange, & red!)
Butternut Squash (diced really small)
Tomatoes (canned)
Corn (I used corn & black bean salsa that I had laying around)
Carrots (diced really small)

So now that I have my chili...I figure out what to do with it! Here is what I did:

Meal #1 Chili!!!  Invited the family over to eat! I grabbed some turkey from the freezer to beef it up a portion of the chili and served like eight people!

Meal #2 Chili Dogs Made a little healthier on whole grain buns with organic turkey dogs.

Meal #3 Chili Mac Super yummy made with brown rice pasta!!

Meal #4 Tamale Pie! Lot's of recipes on this too! I just bake a thin layer of cornbread, add a think layer of lean/cooked/crumbled meat, veggie chili, and some cheese~ pop back into the oven till the cheese is melted!

Meal #5 Just kidding!! I could come up with something, but I am just going to freeze the rest! On to another week!!


1 comment: