Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sharing Our Memories Instead Of Our Fears

Today my seven year old daughter caught me crying at my computer...

I was watching a touching video honoring the lives lost on the day the towers fell...
I remembered.
I prayed.
I cried.

This time, however, I didn't fear...
I am stronger. My faith has been tested so much over the last two years and it has left me stronger. I am a little wiser, and a little older. I am slowly learning to let go of my fear..
I have to...I have to for the sake of my daughter.

I told her that I was sad. I then sat her down and told what happened on this day so long ago now, even though is seems so close to our hearts. I told her everything, very simple, and very direct, but I admonished her not to fear. I shared with her where I was when I heard the news. I trusted that she could handle it, and she did. I guess I am learning to trust her as well..

You see, I am a mother now... Yes, I do feel that it changes everything. It changes how I handle things; how I see the world. It makes me want a better world for my children. It effects how I vote, and how I respect those that protect and serve. It makes me want to be a better person, a better American, and a better friend. It makes me remember what is really important.

So on this day, we honor those that gave their lives to save others, mourn for those precious lives that were lost, and thank those that serve and protect our great country to protect us from fear and oppression.

Most of all...we remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment